follow me on pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, September 4, 2011

EASY, CLASSIC KNIT CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS





















This year I wanted to have a bunch of knitted Christmas decorations to put up
around the house and to give as gifts. So I am getting started on these in
August with ornaments and stockings. I’ve been trolling the internet for patterns
and inspiration for weeks and here are a few of my favorite patterns. I’ve also
listed a few that I made up along the way.





CANDYCANE ORNAMENT 
This is a great, simple intarsia pattern done as in i-cord around a pipe cleaner.
http://knitting.about.com/od/christmaspatterns/ss/candy-cane-ornament.htm

SNOWFLAKE AND STOCKING ORNAMENTS
Once you create a profile to knittingdaily.com, you will be able to
download the Christmas ornament pamplet.
http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/20224/showcontent.aspx

MITTEN
KNITTING DAILY MAGAZINE,  OCT. / NOV. 2011 Issue, p. 12

PICKLE ORNAMENT
This ornament came about as an accident when I was trying to make a wreath,
mid wreath I realized I could make a pickle out of this I-cord.

Suggested: green worsted weight yarn and two size 6 double pointed needles
Cast on 7.
Knit an I-cord for 30 rows. Start by sliding the 7 stitches to the right end of the needle
and begin knitting the first stitch with the yarn connected to the last stitch on the needle.
Knit all stitches, then slide them to the right end of the needle and begin knitting again.
Do this for 30 rows. 
Ball up some yarn and stuff it inside the I-cord to give it its pickle shape.
One you're finished, cut a long tail and pull tail through stitches.
Loop the tail around and tie a knot to make the ornament a hanger. 


WREATH WITH BOW
I searched around the internet for free wreath ornament patterns and couldn't
quite find one that I liked, but the research lead me to making up this easy to
knit wreath with an I-cord stitch.

With Green worsted weight yarn and size 6 dpns
Cast on 5 stitches
Work in I-cord based on instructions from Pickle ornament pattern above for 34 rows.
Pull tail through 5 stitches and knot and leave a long tail. Tie the two tails of the wreath
together to form the circle of the wreath.
With red worsted weight yarn and size 6 dpns
Cast on 3 stitches
Work in I-cord til you have a "ribbon" that is long enough to tie in a bow around the top of the
wreath so that it covers where the two ends of the wreath meet.
With a crochet hook, crochet the long tail in to a chain stitch and tie a knot at the top of the wreath to create the ornament hanger.





No comments:

Post a Comment